Your holiday season can be a gas, with these gas and fire safety tips

Safety tips from Ottawa Fire Services.

All across Ottawa, we’re preparing for Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, the New Year, the winter solstice, and of course the cold and snow. Your preparations should also include these potentially life-saving gas and fire safety tips.

  1. Did you know that your carbon monoxide alarm can’t detect a natural gas leak? This winter, add a natural gas alarm in your home to protect you and your family or housemates.
  2. Do you know the signs of a natural gas leak? Natural gas smells like rotten eggs or sulphur. You may also hear a hissing sound coming from broken natural gas equipment, like your furnace. If you smell natural gas or suspect a leak, act fast. Remain calm, leave the area immediately and call 911 or the Enbridge Gas 24-hour emergency line: 1-866-763-5427.
  3. Keep your natural gas meter and appliance vents clear of snow and ice, including the path leading to it. A covered gas meter or blocked vent may not work correctly and could lead to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in your home.
  1. Do you know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning?  Carbon monoxide is odourless, colourless and deadly.  If you have a headache, are feeling nauseous or dizzy, experiencing weakness or are confused, you may have carbon monoxide poisoning.  Leave the area immediately, call 911 and wait for first responders to arrive.
  2. Carbon monoxide can sneak up on you while you are sleeping. You must have a working carbon monoxide alarm where you sleep, test it every month and replace it as indicated on the alarm or manufactures instructions.
  3. Visiting an elderly relative or friend? Test their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and replace their batteries.

For more safety tips, visit the Ottawa Fire Service safety resources webpage and follow @OttFirePrevent on Twitter. Stay safe and enjoy this holiday season.

Latest posts

Share this page

Address: 110 Laurier Ave W, Ottawa, ON K1P 1J1