Nine projects were recognized as Ottawa’s best in urban design at an awards gala on Thursday, November 30 at the Canadian Museum of Science and Technology. Presented every two years, the 2023 Ottawa Urban Design Awards recognized exceptional projects completed between September 1, 2021 and August 31, 2023.
A jury of three independent experts assessed submissions in five categories. Awards of Merit were presented to eight projects and one Award of Excellence was presented to Rochester Heights Redevelopment Phase I. This project is now eligible to represent Ottawa in the National Urban Design Awards (NUDA) program for 2024.
Awards were presented from five categories:
- Urban Infill, (low-rise and mid to high-rise), for a building or group of buildings, of high architectural standard, that achieves quality urban spaces and enhances the urban fabric of the neighbourhood
- Public Places and Civic Spaces, for spaces that feature sustainability while enhancing the accessible public realm
- Urban Elements, for design elements that contribute to the unique character of the neighbourhood at a human scale
- Visions and Master Plans, a forward-looking category for inspiring ideas and guiding plans for the future
- Student Projects, for theoretical or studio projects submitted by university students
A full list of winners can be found on ottawa.ca.