Black History Month
February is Black History Month. Throughout the month, there are activities and events highlighting the contributions and achievements of Black Canadians While it is important to learn about the history of Black people in Canada and celebrate their achievements, we should also use the opportunity to address systemic racism that erased Black people from the history of Canada in the first place.
This month provides an opportunity to reflect on our respective roles and to challenge ourselves to go beyond learning about notable Black individuals by marking Black History Month in a more meaningful and impactful way. Below are some recommendations for self-guided learning:
- Canada School of Public Service (CSPS) – Anti-Racism Learning Series
- Black Ottawa Connect – Anti-Black Racism
The Ottawa Public Library also invites residents to explore and reflect on how Black communities have resisted oppression in the past and today through a variety of activities.
Weekly Snapshot and Dashboard
Our weekly Respiratory Virus Snapshots are shared through OPH’s Facebook, Twitterv and Instagram channels and posted on our main COVID-19 website at OttawaPublicHealth.ca/coronavirus. Check out the dashboard displaying information about respiratory virus activity: www.OttawaPublicHealth.ca/FluReport
- Our monitoring indicators continue to show an encouraging picture in terms of the overall levels of respiratory viruses circulating in Ottawa; though the levels of COVID-19 are still high.
- Vaccination (flu & COVID-19), wearing masks in indoor public places & staying home when sick remain our best tools at limiting the spread of these viruses.
- If you have questions about eligibility or intervals for flu or COVID-19 vaccines, or about COVID-19 treatment options, our website has helpful info for you OttawaPublicHealth.ca. If you prefer talking to humans, you can call us at 613-580-6744 and chat with one of our amazing nurses.
- Don’t forget: you can find a complete breakdown of this week’s monitoring indicators on our Respiratory Virus dashboard, which is updated every Wednesday at 12:30pm: http://OttawaPublicHealth.ca/VirusReport