On Remembrance Day and through Veterans Week, we honour those who have served and continue to serve our country.
Local Ceremonies in Ottawa
There are many local ceremonies taking place across Ottawa this week. For the full list, please click here.
Watch the National Ceremony on TV or online
The 2023 National Remembrance Day Ceremony, hosted by the Royal Canadian Legion, takes place at the National War Memorial in downtown Ottawa on Nov. 11 starting at approximately 10:30 am. It will feature a Veterans' Parade and a fly-past. The City of Ottawa will restrict road access around the War Memorial before and during the ceremony. The program for the event is available at this link.
- National Canadian news networks will cover the ceremony live on TV.
- Watch the ceremony live on The Royal Canadian Legion's Facebook page.
- Nov. 5 to 11: Veterans can ride transit for free (OC Transpo, Para Transpo, and STO). Just wear your medals and/or uniform.
- OC Transpo will maintain regular transit service during Veterans’ Week and Remembrance Day. However, due to Remembrance Day parades and ceremonies on Nov. 11, several roads will be closed and some routes will be detoured. Use the OC Transpo Travel Planner to plan your trip.
- If you plan on attending the National Remembrance Day Ceremony or will be in the downtown core, be sure to plan ahead. Visit the Alerts page for how to the downtown ceremony and parade and details on detours and road closures throughout the city
- With the 2-for-1 DayPass, two customers aged 13 or older can ride all day on Remembrance Day, and every other Saturday, Sunday and statutory holiday. Kids 12 and under ride for free every day.
- At 11 am on Nov. 11, all services will be paused for two minutes of silence. OC Transpo and para Transpo buses will pull over to the side of the road and all trains will be held at station platforms. Click here to learn more.