Today, the Built Heritage Committee passed a Notice of Intention to Designate the former École St-Pierre, 353 Friel Street(link is external), under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act.
The property meets six of nine criteria outlined in Ontario Regulation 09/06 for designation under the Act and was listed on the City’s Heritage Register in 2015. However, changes to the Ontario Heritage Act through Bill 23 would result in its removal if Council does not issue a Notice of Intention to designate the property by December 31, 2025. It would also not be able to re-list the property for five years after this date.
The former École St-Pierre, 353 Friel Street was originally constructed as a separate school in the Edwardian Classicist style in 1906, with an early addition completed in 1930. The building was designed by local architect Felix Maral Hamel and was Sandy Hill’s first French-language school. The former École St-Pierre is directly associated with early 20th-century French Catholic residents of Sandy Hill.
The Committee also approved an application for demolition and new construction at 41 Arlington Avenue(link is external), pending approval of all final exterior materials and a landscaping plan. While the current building does have heritage value, it is located at the end of a row of seven similarly scaled front gable houses built with similar roof pitches, and setbacks and alterations to the existing house have diminished its heritage character. The new proposed three-storey eight-unit residential building supports intensification while maintaining a heritage feel in accordance with the Centretown Heritage Conservation District. Heritage staff believe the new building can successfully contribute to the district’s overall character.