There are many options for your Christmas tree after the holidays.
Green bin collection:
Christmas trees can be put out with your green bin for pickup as part of the regular garbage and recycling collection schedule in January. Trees will not be collected if they have decorations, are wrapped in plastic bags or if frozen in snowbanks. Check the City of Ottawa Collection Calendar for your pick-up schedule.
- Here are some wonderful reuse options that will keep the festive spirit alive long after your living room.
You can also donate your tree:
- Bring your tree to the National Capital Commission Christmas Tree drop off for use along the Rideau Canal Skateway. The drop off location is on Colonel By Drive, just west of the Bronson Avenue bridge.
- Reach out to the Vanderlaand Barnyard Zoo which accepts Christmas trees for their animals to enjoy.
- Help create a windbreak at Kichi Sibi Winter Trail. Trees can be dropped off at Remic Rapids, 351 Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway from December through to Feb. 28.
- Details here.
- Britannia Winter Trail will also take your tree. Trees can be dropped off along the trail: Behind the Tennis Club by the storage containers, by the New Orchards underpass, and over by Ron Kolbus along the fence. Details: facebook.com/BritanniaWinterTrail